Reports To: Kitchen Manager
Pay Scale: $12 – $15 per hour
Coordinate activities between servers and kitchen personnel to ensure food orders are prepared and served exactly to specifications in a timely manner. Perform duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items, preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates, and preparing salads and desserts. Acts as the key communication link between the front-of-house staff, the back-of-house team and management to ensure the smooth delivery of meals.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of The Buck Burgers & Brew.
- Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Know recipes, plate presentation specifications and standards, modifications, and prepares food to recipe using correct skills and equipment.
- Pull and coordinate finished plates in pivot point order to be delivered to guests.
- Call for servers and /or runners and ensure entire orders are complete when delivered.
- Have food run in the order it was prepared.
- Time stamp and spindle tickets or bump items off Expo kitchen display system when the food has run.
- Ensure orders meet ticket time standards.
- Consolidate steps in anticipation of completing orders.
- Notify Manager of any late or priority tickets.
- Ensure cold food is served cold: keep cold items away from heat lamps or soup wells, work and run desserts immediately.
- Ensure food is cooked, held and served at correct temperature by regulating temperature of heat lamps, holding cabinets and drawers, refrigerators, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the quality of products served.
- Prioritizes and follows up on orders returned to the kitchen for recooking or correction.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at expeditor’s stations to support a smooth service period.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
- Use the correct measuring tools and a thermocouple.
- Season and garnish food according to recipes.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils or thermocouple.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Closes the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- May control course timing of orders.
- Keep records and accounts.
- Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen or service staff.
Tools & Technology
- Point-of-sale terminals, POS software, and workstations
- Kitchen printers, kitchen display systems (KDS), time clocks
- Commercial use blenders, grinders, slicers, broilers, convection ovens, deep fryers, griddles, grills, microwave ovens, ranges, rotisseries, steamers, cutlery (boning knives, chefs’ knives, paring knives), ovens (conveyor ovens, rotating rack ovens, salamander ovens, pizza ovens, smokers or smoke ovens), Cutting machinery
- Domestic knives (cimeter knives, filet knives, utility knives)
- Food safety labeling systems
- Inventory management software